Church of the Epiphany
Epiphany Place, Crafers
The Crafers Church of the Epiphany has played a prominent role in the life of the district since 1878. It also has a splendid music tradition, a lively choir and one of the finest pipe-organs in South Australia.
The Church of the Epiphany is a favourite church for many couples for their marriage service.
Our 10:00 am Choral Eucharist every Sunday is followed by morning tea.
Special services are held on major saints’ days and other occasions, including a Choral Eucharist to celebrate the Feast of the Epiphany.
Children or adults interested in joining the choir can contact the Parish Office on 8339 1274
Choral Eucharist 10.00am Sunday
Gallery – Click on an image to view a larger version
Century-old oaks provide the backdrop for one of South Australia’s finest church gardens.
Bursting with flowering displays during spring, wonderfully shaded through summer and alive with colour in Autumn, this is a garden for all seasons.
The sloping site to the southeast of the Church features a series of lawns and contoured garden beds bounded by sweeping stone walls. The effect is a series of intimate and peaceful garden spaces, each with its own focus.
A highlight of the garden is a beautiful cascade. Here water tumbles down natural stone formations to a pool dotted with water lilies.
The garden provides a peaceful setting for the internment of ashes; either in the columbarium wall or in nearby garden borders. The Church of the Epiphany at Crafers welcomes enquiries regarding the internment of ashes. This facility is also available to people outside the parish.
Click on the images below to see larger photos of the garden.
The Crafers Memorial Garden is located within the grounds of the historic Church of the Epiphany at Crafers. Access is via Epiphany Place (adjacent to the Crafers exit on the South Eastern Freeway) or Mount Street to the northeast of the church.
While the Church and Rectory survived the Ash Wednesday bushfire of 1983 several important trees were lost in the blaze.
In 1995 local garden designer Diana McGregor was given the challenge of planning a garden for the unused land adjacent to the Church. Over the past 10 years her inspired design has been made a reality – thanks to the dedicated work of Parish of Stirling volunteers.
The natural slope of the site has been carefully adapted in the design to provide open areas, elegant stone structures and places to sit and reflect. The mixed plantings reflect the historic nature of the Church grounds and the garden traditions of the Adelaide Hills.
The garden is tended to by a team of parishioners and our garden committee, who generously give their time to look after the plantings and landscaping. While normally blessed with good natural rainfall, recent dry years and the associated water restrictions have created added challenges. Yet the garden continues to prosper, evolve and inspire.
For more information, contact the Parish Secretary.
Church Features and Details
Pages from the booklet “A Walk Through The Church of the Epiphany Crafers” (March 2008)